Hello, Jordan. I have depression, and I’m suffering a lot because of it. It really hurts. I don’t know what to do anymore. I’ve tried to do what my friends and psychiatrist tell me, but the happiness only lasts for a short while. While I appreciate my friends being there for me, because they don’t really know what depression is or how it feels like, I only get answers I already know when I turn to them for help when I feel suicidal. It’s been going on for more than a year. And right now, at the moment, I’m struggling to live with the pain inside. I’m clinging onto the fact that if I go now, I won’t be able to do what I love anymore. It’s painful. It really is. And with each passing day, the pain only increases and my love for art (what I’m holding onto) slowly diminishes. What should I do? These negative thoughts and feelings are getting too overwhelming for me to bear. I know I’ve said this many times, but it really hurts. Please help me. It hurts.
Thank you so much for opening up and asking for help. To be honest I cannot say that I am an expert in depression or that I know how you feel.
Right now you’re experiencing a large amount of compassion, it’s when you are inside of a hole and everybody is yelling from outside of it trying to coach you to get out. You are very lucky to have friends that support you very much and you have already gotten professional help. I think what you really need right now is empathy.
Empathy is when someone climbs down the hole to join you and go though the hard times together. I’m here to join you and get through it with you.
Although I do not know your situation very well I know how depression can affect an individual. I also know that you probably have tried eating, sleeping or even tricking yourself through your own depression.
Here are some thing that I definitely think you should try:
– Whenever you feel overwhelmingly sad, do what you love. Use your art to express everything you’re feeling. Don’t be afraid to cry, don’t be afraid to tell someone that you’re feeling very sad.
– Try changing your lifestyle. As I have mentioned before you have probably tried eating, sleeping or even tricking yourself through you depression. Instead, try sleeping earlier, exercising everyday, eating healthier. There’s no better way to improve your mood then to become healthier in general.
– Challenge your negative thoughts. You’re fighting a constant mental battle against your depression. Feel like nobody likes you? Try to find real proof for that. There probably isn’t. Always challenge your own thought and see the bright side in everything.
– Make a list of all the people that love you and that care about you. There’s probably so many more then you have ever realized. You might not know your reason to be right now, but they can be your reason to keep fighting this battle. Review the list often, try and add more people everyday.
– Try to change your setting. When I was going through a tough time in my life. I’d spend all my time on the computer. It helped me so much to go on walks at the park or do homework outside.
– Take breaks when you need them. Take care of your body, don’t overwork yourself but make sure to achieve small goals before you take your break. Tell yourself that after you go for a quick jog in the afternoon then you can take a short nap.
I’ve given you these suggestions. It’s up to you now to keep fighting your battle. Remember what you’re feeling right now. If follow all these small lifestyle tips then this will be the lowest of your low. This is the worst you will ever feel. Trust me, it will only get better from here. I’m not saying there won’t be tough times, you will face more obstacles in your life. It will only get better from here though.
Keep fighting your fight S, I’m here for you if you ever need any help. Please stay in contact with me.
If anybody else has any problems or needs advice please don’t hesitate to go to the second page up top “Questions, Feedback, Comments” and I will happily answer your questions. You can also email me at email@example.com
Hope you had a great weekend and stay strong for the coming week.